“Halwa’ is a sweet that is very popular in India, served for occasions or festivals or just as a dessert at home. There are so many varieties of halwa in the country. The process of making any type of halwa is the same; adding the ingredients and cooking on a low flame till the halwa leaves the sides of the pan and becomes a whole mass, and then garnishing with nuts of your choice. The main ingredient can be any fruit or vegetable, lentils or flours like corn flour, wheat flour, maida, sooji etc and the common ingredients are sugar and ghee. The recipe I have shared today is a halwa made with corn flour which is called Karachi Halwa.
Recipe for Karachi halwa
- Corn flour: 1 ½ cup
- Sugar: 2 cups
- Ghee: ¼ cup
- Orange color: 2 drops
- Rose water: 3-4 drops/a small pinch
- Cardamom powder: ¼ tsp
- Water: 1 ½ cup
- Pistachios: 10
- Almonds: 10
- Cashew nuts: 10
- Add 1 ½ cup of water to the corn flour. Mix well without any lumps. Add the food color and keep aside.
- Blanch and sliver (cut into fine strips) the almonds and pistachios. To blanch the almonds and pistachios, put them separately in hot water for a few minutes. Then rinse with cold water. Press each almond at the end and slide the skin. Rub the skins off from the pistachios. Then finely cut the almonds and pistachios.
- Grease a tray with 2 tbsp of ghee and keep aside.
- Add 1 ½ cup of water to the sugar. Boil the mixture till the sugar gets completely dissolved. When the syrup becomes slightly thick and sticky, add the corn flour mixture little by little, while stirring with one hand to avoid lumps.
- Once the whole mixture is added, continue to cook on a low flame till the mixture will start thicken.
- Now add the ghee little by little every minute while stirring. You will see that the ghee gets absorbed in the halwa really fast.
- Add cardamom powder and keep stirring until the halwa becomes glossy and ghee starts oozing at the sides. The halwa will leave the sides of the pan and become a whole mass and it will be difficult to stir.
- Now add the rose water and mix well and switch of the flame.
- Pour the halwa mixture into the greased tray. Spread evenly. Sprinkle fried cashew nuts and slivered almonds and pistachios.
- Leave aside to cool.
- Cut into desired shapes and enjoy this delicacy.
The orange color Karachi halwa has a chewy, jelly like texture, garnished with nuts, and is extremely delicious and can be prepared easily. You can also add any other food color like green or red, according to your preference. Now that you have read the recipe, I am sure you are longing to taste it…..well, then, get the ingredients and start!!!