Dry Fruit Halwa
The recipe I have shared today is a delicious halwa, which is tasty and nutritious for you and your family. The halwa is dried fruit halwa. The halwa is made with dates and fig and plenty of nuts. While dates are rich in minerals and vitamins and cures constipation, intestinal disorders, allergies, anemia, boosts energy, keeps your heart healthy, increases sexual stamina etc, figs on the other hand are also excellent source of anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals, low in calories, helps to lower blood sugar level and are a high source of energy. To top it all, almonds, pistachios and walnuts also contains plenty of nutrition. So making dried fruit halwa is not only a great dessert for your guests, but an easy way to make your kids’ get all the nutrition they require.
Recipe for dried fruit halwa
- Almonds: 1 cup
- Pistachios: ½ cup
- Walnuts: ½ cup
- Chirongi nuts: 2 tbsp
- Seedless dates: 1 cup
- Dried fig: 10
- Cashew nuts: 10
- Raisins: 10
- Cherries: 10
- Ghee: 1 cup
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Water: 2 ½ cup
- Cardamom: ¼ tsp
- Melon seeds: 1 tsp
- Edible silver leaf: 2
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a non stick pan. If you don’t have a non stick pan, you can use an ordinary one, but I always recommend using a non stick for making halwa, to avoid the sticking of the halwa in the pan. Lightly fry the pistachios, walnuts and almonds. Don’t fry for too long, just a few minutes till you get a good aroma. Remove the fried nuts from the pan and keep aside. When the nuts are cool, grind into smooth powder.
- In the same pan add a tbsp of ghee and heat it. Add the raisins and saute for 10 seconds. Then add the cashew nuts and fry till light brown in color.
- Soak the dates and fig in warm water for 30 minutes. Grind the fig and dates by adding 1 cup of water to make a smooth puree.
- Make sugar syrup by adding 1 ½ cup of water to the sugar and boiling the mixture till the sugar dissolves.
- Heat half the amount of ghee in the pan.
- Add the fig-dates puree and boil.
- When it starts boiling add the sugar syrup and boil for a fee minutes by stirring continuously.
- When the mixture starts to thicken, add the ground nuts powder and remaining ghee and cardamom powder and cook by stirring continuously.
- As you continue stirring, the halwa will become a single mass by leaving the sides of the pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and remove from flame.
- Grease a tray with some ghee and pour the mixture into it. Garnish with cashew nuts, raisins, cherries and melon seeds.
- Garnish with silver leaf.
- Leave aside to cool. Cut into squares or diamond shape and serve.
- You can refrigerate them in air tight containers.